Once upon a time Facebook was filled with images of weddings, babies and drunk people. It was fun and silly. Now it is filled with angry rants and negative energy. Name calling, and worst of all friends degrading friends. I’ve seen it, I have been the victim of it and honestly, I’ve probably been sucked into a Facebook fight or two. It is horrible, no one EVER wins these ‘fights’ and friends are lost, egos are bruised and feelings are hurt.
It doesn’t matter if it’s mommy wars, political rants or even the best way to raise your puppy! The second it becomes negative and condescending people are bound to get fired up.
And, I get it! I am passionate about my beliefs (anyone who knows me well can vouch for this). I want to disagree and agree with people too! I get angry when I see something that I don’t think is right or fair and want to enter into a Facebook exchange with them to ‘right their wrongs’. But lately something has stopped me……I finally took a step back and thought: has telling them how wrong they are EVER changed their minds and made them see the ‘light’?
THAT WOULD BE A BIG FAT NO.
Most of the time it becomes a heated exchange where both parties and sometimes even third parties go at it. No one wins. And, I don’t know about you, but I often feel agitated and annoyed. Sometimes it can even ruin my day!! And for what? Nothing has changed at all.
Don’t get me wrong. I fully support that people have the right to express whatever they want…we do live in America. But behind the veil of Facebook we seem to have lost any sense of humility. Being kind has been thrown out the window. Just because you might see someone else being a jerk online, does that mean we all have to be?
I have discovered a few wonderful ways that has changed the way I peruse Facebook. This is not to say that I am not open to reading about other peoples thoughtful opinions that I don’t agree with….just the opposite. I like leaning about other viewpoints, but when it gets to negative, angry and personal I am OVER it.
Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative!
I am choosing to only see the positive online and here is how I do it:
- Follow only those feeds who make you happy and add something to your life. If you are constantly annoyed or disagreeing with someone, maybe it is time to move on.
- Re-evaluate your ‘friends’ list. I have noticed that people I have not seen in over a decade keep popping up in my feed! Why do I even care what they think!! Sometimes saying ‘goodbye’ is the easiest thing to do!
- If there is a certain post that is bothering you click on the top right corner of the post where the arrow is and ‘hide’ the post! It really is as easy as that! You won’t see it popping back up time after time.
- If you really feel the need to engage….give yourself a five minute ‘timeout’ before posting. Keep your comments positive and DO NOT under any circumstance personally insult your ‘friend’.
- TAKE A BREAK FROM FACEBOOK. Just stop looking at it for a while. Remove the app from your phone. If someone really needs to get a hold of you, they can call you!
Having an opinion and passion in our world is so important….and my guess is that we all have the best intentions too. Sometimes it’s not what we say but how we say it.